Monday, March 1, 2010

Sew Much Fun

Since I have tons of free time right now, I have been spending a lot of it at my parents' house in my mom's sewing room. I have learned all sorts of fancy tricks from mom. She should go pro. When I was in 2nd grade, she made all of my teacher's bridesmaid's dresses, as well as my prom dress in high school, not to mention a billion costumes for high school dance/cheerleading events and outfits when I was a little girl. She also is pretty handy at whipping stuff up on the fly without patterns, whether it's an outfit for one of my sister's photo shoots, or the time in college when I called my mom and said,"I need a pirate costume. I'll be there in 45 minutes to pick it up!"

A few weeks ago, we made my favorite craft of all time. I have a friend who is going through a battle with breast cancer (my mom is a survivor!), and a bunch of our pals from all over the country each made squares for a quilt to send to her. It was amazing, if I do say so myself.




Mom and I made the one with the photo, the birds, the flower with ribbon, the angel with the heart, the holly hobby angel, and the K with the flower, which was made from silk flower petals form a friend's wedding (all the girls who participated planned our weddings together, with the exception of my mom, of course!) Mom and I also put the whole thing together. It was lots of fun and made with lots of love.

In addition to the quilt, I made some pajama pants (flannel with a Kermit pattern) and a baby blanket for a friend's shower. I need some new pattern ideas. I don't know what I'd like to sew next. Hmmm...




0 comments:

Post a Comment