Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Dancing Queen

Lately, and by lately I mean the last four or five years, I have wanted to be more fit. Not necessarily to lose weight, just to move and feel good again, like I did in my cheerleading days, minus the glitter. I've done yoga, but frankly, I can't afford that right now. My apartment complex has a gym (actually, it's closed for renovations, but theoretically it has a gym), but I hate, HATE, running on an elliptical or a treadmill. It is so boring for me. I feel like a hamster. It also reminds me of my short-lived (read: two-week) track career in high school. I hated running then. I only joined so they'd have enough girls to form a team, and I quit because the school play started.



But I digress.

Anyway, when contemplating fitness recently, I recalled how much I loved my dance team in high school (Go Maroon Jazz!) and my dance classes and swing dance club in college. I am by no means a dancer. I just enjoy dancing. Very different. I searched for dance classes in the area, but was dismayed by the cost. I found one place that seemed like fun and was really inexpensive, so I gathered up all of my moxie and joined in the beginning of March. we even had a recital. Here's me as one of the seven deadly sins (Envy) and as a muse from Xanadu:






(Yes, I realize I did not avoid the glitter. And the white body paint was for glowy effects. Watch Xanadu, you'll get it!)

My dance pals are some of the most fun, supportive, and generally kick-ass women I know. They are so athletic, and the things they are able to do are astounding.

At this point you may be wondering what form of dance I am doing. Don't judge:

Pole dancing!

It's not want you think. There's nothing slutty/dirty/etc about it, and nobody takes off their clothes. Pole Dancing for fitness is a terrific total-body workout. I totally recommend it for anyone looking for a fun way to work out, and if anyone in the area wants to join me for class, check out Poise Dance Studio in Philadelphia.

What do you think?


1 comments:

Heather Raquel Phillips said...

i think it's fantastic! great post woman!

Post a Comment