Monday, August 31, 2009

My new favorite thing

I love to read. LOVE it. My mom taught me how to read before I could walk, and I've never stopped. And I read FAST. I read books like they are oxygen.

Unfortunately, books are really expensive. I realized that in June, I spent over $150.00 at Barnes & Noble. Not good. I know that I could go to the library, but I like to own my books to re-read them. Inevitably, I have a lot of books that I purchased and ended up disliking, so they just sit, unloved, on the bookshelf.

I thought about organizing a book swap with friends, but I don't really know a lot of readers besides my husband, so that would be pointless.

Enter www.paperbackswap.com. ("PBS")

You join for free, post books you are willing to get rid of, and you automatically get two book credits. Each credit is good for one book on the site. You can request specific books that are available or make a wish list so that you are notified when they become available. When someone requests one of your books, you are notified by PBS email. You print out the label/wrapper, affix your postage, and pop it in the mail box. When the other person gets the book you sent, you get a book credit.

Holy papery goodness, Batman!

A new book costs around $14. Postage to send a paperback is $2.38. that's a whole lot of savings! I can't wait to get my first book!

2 comments:

JennXOXO said...

Holy moley thanks so much for posting this! Brian is an avid paperback reader and he goes through 1 or 2 paperbacks per week! Every weekend we make a Barnes & Noble trip to get him a new book. Our basement has stacks and stacks of books he's already read! We need to do this asap!

Anonymous said...

It's an awesome site. I've been on it for a couple years now, though I don't get on nearly as often as I'd like, and the books I've got listed are mostly crap. However, I've found some great stuff on there, and I've gotten rid of a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't have otherwise.

We're going to have to trade books, babe. We're going to sit down and talk about this soon. Oh yes.

Post a Comment